Skip to main content

PLAB 1 .... The Awakening

A very dear friend of mine once said, if anybody failed the PLAB 1 exam, while he has access to the 1700 questions source, he or she then should stop all further plans to go to the UK or anywhere else cause that just shows he doesn't have the IQ to do it. Now before you rush to judging me or my friend, that only means one thing, that the exam itself is copied and pasted from that source. EVEN the choices in the MCQ exam is copied and pasted. This isn't in any way or form attacking those who fail, we all have got our shares of failing and in stupid exams (i should or shouldn't, in this case, be the one to talk, LOL).

I started preparing for the PLAB exam about a month before the exam. It was a series of rash decisions, taking the IELTS and paying for PLAB1. On the other hand, what made me take such decisions easier, is that I have already passed MRCP1 and MRCP2 written, the year before, so I thought I would be able to hold my ground in the internal medicine part of the PLAB which comprise the majority of the exam, to be more precise, at least more than 60%.

Now for me personally I didn't use the 1700 or even know their importance except a week before my exam. Up till that time I made a subscription in passmedicine and was doing the PLAB 1 questions from there (they had nothing to do with the actual exam format regrettably, even though medical knowledge is the same but compared to 1700, which is the same, word for word like the actual exam, it is not that good). That same dear friend called me and was checking up on how I was doing in my preparation and when I told him I was only using the passmedicine, he got furious and he is the one who made me stop whatever I am doing and shift to the 1700.

Now by the time of my exam, I barely made it to 400 or maybe even haven't reached it, I don't remember. but I was shocked at how they came in the exam word for word, with even the same choices in the MCQ and in the same sequence. I get asked this question a lot and I even asked it myself, are they that stupid to put an exam so easy that everybody could pass???!! But then I came to the realization that maybe that's the information or the things that they want everybody to memorize and know by heart and that's why they keep repeating those questions. the other point is that the published pass rate for PLAB 1 is 69% which is almost the same as PLAB 2 so to them, statistically wise it is not that easy, it isn't a walk in the park for some candidates.

So to recap I started preparing 30 days before the exam, I finished about 40% of passmedicine questions bank, and I did about 300-400 questions from the 1700. This was all after Passing MRCP1 and MRCP2 written..... and I barely passed, LOL, I just got 5 or 6 marks above the pass mark so my advice is NEVER EVER underestimate any exam, even if you have the questions in your hand, it all comes down to the effort you put in. Again I am not that qualified to give any piece of advice and this is to tell you more what you shouldn't do, than what you should do, which is basically like my previous posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Credit score

After starting in the NHS and sorting out all the basic stuff as per each one priorities, you will get to the point where you have to have a pause and look at your finances and what do you want to achieve next, whether it is FIRE (financial independence, retire early), buying a house, investing, sorting out pension finances or just saving money and amounting interest. I have been reading on this and this is my collective experience so far. This is going to be my first entry about Finances, saving and investing in the UK Credit score For me personally achieving financial goals starts with hopefully buying a house. So it all then starts with credit score and building it. I am going to mention the steps I have found that improve the score.  It is the way lenders assess how likely you are to pay back the debt if they lend you money by taking a look at your past behaviour with other debts. To find your credit score or report, or you need is to sign up to any of the big credit reporting comp

Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption by Marcia Angell 2009

Recently Senator Charles Grassley, ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, has been looking into financial ties between the pharmaceutical industry and the academic physicians who largely determine the market value of prescription drugs. He hasn’t had to look very hard. Take the case of Dr. Joseph L. Biederman, professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and chief of pediatric psychopharmacology at Harvard’s Massachusetts General Hospital. Thanks largely to him, children as young as two years old are now being diagnosed with bipolar disorder and treated with a cocktail of powerful drugs, many of which were not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for that purpose and none of which were approved for children below ten years of age. Legally, physicians may use drugs that have already been approved for a particular purpose for any other purpose they choose, but such use should be based on good published scientific evidence. That seems not to be the ca

Interviews and getting a job "The elusive scary Scarecrow"

I was lucky enough to be involved in the interviewing panel in my trust. It was such an interesting experience to see things done from the other side and on what basis selection or points are being awarded. I am mainly going to be talking about medicine but it might be applicable to other specialties, also I have to say this is for non-training jobs which generally are less competitive and more flexible. The tricky bit is to have your application shortlisted. There are obviously some requirements that are out of your hand as an applicant as having GMC registration, it is going to be more difficult in the meantime to get the job and the reason is understandable, the trusts want to appoint doctors for rota gaps and it doesn't make sense to take a gamble in the COVID time and then risk having issues later. A way around it is to email the HR person mentioned in the application and express your interest in the job and the city, be honest and tell them why your registration has not be