Skip to main content

IELTS and any other language test..... Road to Medical Abyss

Since the plan is to keep the most unlucky of you to keep reading to the end of this Blog, so I am going to tell you, ladies and gentleman, about my uneventful unplanned only trial with IELTS and how did I get the required dreadful score of  8 overall, with no less than 7 in any individual testing area.

Firstly, my German teacher (I know what you are thinking, the best way to start talking about a great approach to IELTS is to start with German right?!!), anyway my German teacher, and i have to say a simply awesome one at that, told us one time in the class that the BEST way to learn any language is to read a lot. The trick is to know what you are reading for. So always ask yourself, are you reading to improve your reading? listening? or writing?

If you are reading to improve your reading, then always to sort whatever your reading into paragraphs and like have a heading for each and try to understand the idea behind each one and the general idea of the whole piece. Does he agree or disagree and what is his or her intake on the subject?
Now reading the SAME article but thinking about writing, then you should focus on how did the writer write this? how did he make his sentences? short or long? how did he or she link them? how, when and where did he use the punctuation marks and try to figure out why were they used in the way they were used. At this point, if you need to open a book to read something related to grammar or punctuation, that will definitely stick more than just reading with no purpose.

Reading for listening, would be all about the new vocabulary, reading and not missing a word that you don't know (usually with normal reading you don't have to understand word for word, if you know the meaning of 80% of the words, you will definitely get the whole idea). You add on to your vocabulary and know their meaning. Now you will just have the different accents to suffer with, and good luck with that :D :D but at least half the work is done. Once you figure what the hell is being said, then you are sure you will understand it :D.

Last but not least, is reading for speaking, it is pretty obvious that not all the vocabulary you know is ok to be used in speaking and that is the trickiest part but don't worry, once you start using that and you find the other person looking at you quizzically then it means you probably shouldn't have used those words or you might have said something inappropriate, who knows! ah I almost forgot, focus on idioms, they come in handy and you get graded higher when you use them more frequently. I guess those can mostly be picked from movies. To be honest, I think they are the best, cause you get a situation played right in front of you, showing you with the best time AND way to use that idiom. If you pick it while watching, I assure you, you will never forget it.

Now that's reading in relation to each part of the IELTS exam and I also believe, as my teacher did, that reading is the best way to learn a language. The only drawback is that it takes a lot of time to see its effects, yes you will use that language at an extremely high level and you will not easily forget it but it takes really long time. So my advice is to start early, a lot of people that I knew ended up trying for IELTS for a year, maybe 9 months. I would suggest daily reading and I personally believe would have got the score they wanted from the first trial but taken longer and the effects of learning would be longer-lasting.

So now back to my own experience, firstly, i had no plan to take the IELTS when I did, my brother told me that they plan to make the exam more expensive so I thought I would have my first trial when it is cheaper, in case I didn't get the score so that I wouldn't pay twice the more expensive fee. I think I had like 3 weeks before my test and putting my own advice to use I got the "1984" novel by Goerge Orwell (was my first time to read it) and read it (yaaay a novel I always wanted to read behind my back). I watched youtube videos for IELTSLIZ.com  to know the exam tips and tricks (I made the youtube videos on 1.5 and sometimes 2 times the playback speed just to get used to faster speaking and to cover more videos in less time) and did the 10th book of Cambridge (just the reading and listening though) writing tasks of 2 tests of the 4 in that same book.

I almost had no idea about the speaking part and didn't practice it at all, when I got to the task 2 in the exam, I was so nervous, I finished all I had to say in like 30 seconds and was blocked and couldn't even get a peep out till the examiner went to task 3. She was even doing the hand gestures, like telling me, common for God's sake say anything, or maybe she was just bored as hell from me sitting there, and as I was leaving, she told me, next time try to practice more!! I was like "DAMN, I must have sucked for her to tell me that", well she was an amazing lady, and gave me 7 :D couldn't be more happier with that.

And that's my experience with IELTS. I know pretty lame, right? but for me, I don't really care as long as i got the required score and didn't have to go under exam condition one more time. I think as a medical school graduate that's how one came to calculate his life by how many exams he is going to take or took, how many failed or passed or have to redo and one of those less is always a huge thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Credit score

After starting in the NHS and sorting out all the basic stuff as per each one priorities, you will get to the point where you have to have a pause and look at your finances and what do you want to achieve next, whether it is FIRE (financial independence, retire early), buying a house, investing, sorting out pension finances or just saving money and amounting interest. I have been reading on this and this is my collective experience so far. This is going to be my first entry about Finances, saving and investing in the UK Credit score For me personally achieving financial goals starts with hopefully buying a house. So it all then starts with credit score and building it. I am going to mention the steps I have found that improve the score.  It is the way lenders assess how likely you are to pay back the debt if they lend you money by taking a look at your past behaviour with other debts. To find your credit score or report, or you need is to sign up to any of the big credit reporting comp

Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption by Marcia Angell 2009

Recently Senator Charles Grassley, ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, has been looking into financial ties between the pharmaceutical industry and the academic physicians who largely determine the market value of prescription drugs. He hasn’t had to look very hard. Take the case of Dr. Joseph L. Biederman, professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and chief of pediatric psychopharmacology at Harvard’s Massachusetts General Hospital. Thanks largely to him, children as young as two years old are now being diagnosed with bipolar disorder and treated with a cocktail of powerful drugs, many of which were not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for that purpose and none of which were approved for children below ten years of age. Legally, physicians may use drugs that have already been approved for a particular purpose for any other purpose they choose, but such use should be based on good published scientific evidence. That seems not to be the ca

Interviews and getting a job "The elusive scary Scarecrow"

I was lucky enough to be involved in the interviewing panel in my trust. It was such an interesting experience to see things done from the other side and on what basis selection or points are being awarded. I am mainly going to be talking about medicine but it might be applicable to other specialties, also I have to say this is for non-training jobs which generally are less competitive and more flexible. The tricky bit is to have your application shortlisted. There are obviously some requirements that are out of your hand as an applicant as having GMC registration, it is going to be more difficult in the meantime to get the job and the reason is understandable, the trusts want to appoint doctors for rota gaps and it doesn't make sense to take a gamble in the COVID time and then risk having issues later. A way around it is to email the HR person mentioned in the application and express your interest in the job and the city, be honest and tell them why your registration has not be